HOW TO APPLY
Programs Available and Their Waiting List Status:
Public Housing Family – WAITING LIST IS OPEN
Public Housing Senior – WAITING LIST IS OPEN
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher – WAITING LIST IS CLOSED
Click below to print PHHC application:
PUBLIC HOUSING PROGRAM
The Port Huron Housing Commission owns and operates over 400 apartments under a Public Housing program regulated by HUD. These apartments are all located in the City of Port Huron and are distributed among five Villages.
Three Villages are designated as family living and two Villages are designated as senior living. Rent is computed on each household’s gross income less eligible deductions.
Currently the waiting list for the family public housing program is: OPEN
Most Family Villages Offer:
- One to Five Bedroom Apartments
- Playgrounds/Ball Courts
- Front and back entrances
- Patio/Spacious Covered Porches
- 500 to over 1000 sq ft of private space
- Appliances: Energy Star Stove and Refrigerator
- Washer/Dryer hook up
- Cable/Internet hook up
- Locations close to schools and shopping
- Outside security lighting
- Wired smoke detectors
- Free on-site parking
- Courtyards and open green space
- Microwave cabinets
Dulhut Village – Newly Renovated Family Housing
Opened September 1970 / Renovated in 2011
- Dulhut Village Apartments are located in Port Huron bounded by Nern Street, 22ndStreet and Cleveland Street.
- Dulhut contains 8 one-bedroom apartments, 30 two-bedroom apartments, 32 three-bedroom apartments, 16 four-bedroom apartments, and 4 five-bedroom apartments – for a total of 90 apartments available for low-income families.
Gratiot Village – Family Housing
Opened May 1967 / Renovated in 2014
- Gratiot Village is located in Port Huron on Riverview Street between 10th and 12th Avenues.
- Gratiot contains 8 one-bedroom apartments, 20 two-bedroom apartments, 24 three-bedroom apartments, 6 four-bedroom apartments, and 1 five-bedroom apartment – for a total of 59 apartments available for low-income families.
Huron Village – Family Housing
Opened January 1967 / Renovated in 2014
- Huron Village is located in Port Huron bounded by 25th Street, Nern Street, 28th Street, and Manuel Street.
- Huron contains 4 one-bedroom apartments, 20 two-bedroom apartments, 26 three-bedroom apartments, 8 four-bedroom apartments, and 1 five-bedroom apartment – for a total of 59 apartments available for low-income families.
Currently the waiting list for the Senior public housing program is: OPEN
All Senior Villages Offer:
- Studio, One, and Two Bedroom Apartments
- Laundry rooms
- Emergency pull cords
- Accessible apartments
- Appliances: stove and refrigerator
- Secured entrance with intercom door system
- Carpeted living room and bedroom
- Walk in closets in 1 and 2 bedroom apartments
- Resident councils and activities
- Central air conditioning
- Vending/social area
- Newly renovated community space for events
- Updated modern common spaces
- Television/computer area with free internet access
- Security cameras
- Generators providing heat, common space lighting, and 1 live outlet in each apartment during power outages
- Wired smoke detectors
Desmond Village – Newly Renovated Senior Housing
Opened October 1968 / Renovated in 2012
- Desmond Village is located in downtown Port Huron bounded by 7th Street, Howard Street, 8th Street, and Pine Street.
- Desmond contains 18 studio apartments, 84 one-bedroom apartments, and 6 two-bedroom apartments; for a total of 108 apartments available for low-income senior citizens.
Peru Village – Newly Renovated Senior Housing
Opened April 1968 / Renovated in 2012
- Peru Village is located in Port Huron in the college district bounded by Erie Street, Glenwood Avenue, Ontario Street, and Bard Street.
- Peru contains 12 studio apartments, 80 one-bedroom apartments, and 5 two-bedroom apartments; for a total of 97 apartments available for low-income senior citizens.
SECTION 8 HCV
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (rent subsidy) for Family Housing and Senior Housing
Currently the waiting list for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is: CLOSED
The Housing Commission manages and operates a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program available through the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federal rental assistance program for very low-income families, seniors, and person with disabilities. To be eligible, household annual gross income must fall below the HUD Very Low (50%) Income Limits for your family size. Check to see if you qualify for St. Clair County, Michigan, by clicking here.
- Once determined eligible, a family’s rent subsidy is calculated by the Housing Commission which is based on household gross income less eligible deductions and is paid directly to the landlord.
- Families pay the difference between the actual contract rent and rent subsidy to the landlord having the ability to determine what level of expense they can afford.
- The Housing Commission administers approximately 600 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers throughout St. Clair County.
- WHEN this waiting list is opened, it will be published in the local newspaper and on the front page of this website. Currently the waiting list for Section 8 is closed as of 11/16/2023.
Any Landlord interested in participating in this program, please contact the Port Huron Housing Commission Management Office at 810-984-3173. When the waiting list is closed, Port Huron Housing continues to lease new vouchers to those already on the waiting list as vouchers become available, so it is always important to continually add any interested landlords.